RunningNheels

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Big Dog, Little, Dog, Stone or Brick

When a relationship begins, everything is wonderful. It seems like everything you do together is surrounded by kissing and hugging. For example, at our most recent trip to the driving range, Big drives the golf ball first, and then we give each other a kiss; then I take a drive and then he hugs me and kisses my forehead, etc. etc. etc. We’re kind of disgusting to watch actually. Basically, we can’t get enough of each other. This goes on wherever we go. Trust me, you don’t want to know about our recent behavior in the Linens N Things Sheets and pillow cases aisle!

For as much as Big and I get along and have fun together, our new found love for each other does display its differences. Differences that insist we need to practice the art of compromise. Big can watch every sport known to man on TV all day. For instance, the idea of watching NASCAR, is enough to make me…well, become ill. I said to him, “Do we really have to watch this?” Big’s reply “It’s NASCAR…it’s great!” I just looked at him. Finally, he picked up the remote and began ever so slowly flicking through the channels. “Stop!” I said, “There’s Bruce Willis, let’s watch this! See, how nicely we can compromise”. Why do I have a feeling he’ll start limiting which nights I come over.

Despite the little idiosyncrasies, we are seeking to build a life together. We talk about our future all the time; getting married, moving out of Hoboken, having children, getting a dog…Whoa! Wait a minute!…Stop right there! Issue! Big wants a dog for protection, like a Rottweiler or a German shepherd. I want a Pug, a Shih-Tzu or a Yorkie you know, the kind that wears little pink bows in their hair. He laughs at me and says, “What if we need protection?” I said, “You are my protection!” He says, “What about when you’re home alone and I go to work. I said “It’s called a security alarm!” We might have a major issue here, especially since he assures me his big dog will eat my little dog.

While driving around North Jersey this past weekend, Big and I saw some very nice neighborhoods. Neighborhoods we both liked. I remarked that I like brick homes. He likes stone. Ok…Stone home with a little dog and a security system works for me. I sure love the way we compromise.

This can definitely work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home