RunningNheels

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Rachael Ray, My Mom and Me

This past year for the first time in my life I am learning to cook. Growing up my mom did everything. I never had an interest in learning to cook. In fact, even coming home at Thanksgiving time, my mom would ask me if I wanted to learn how to prepare the turkey and my response was always, “um...no, I think I rather sleep in”. Even last year after begging my mom to teach me to cook, she said, “ok, I’ll be getting the turkey ready at 9a.m.” I changed my mind and slept through the preparation. This year in Bloomington, I have my own kitchen, and a very tight budget so in order for me to survive I had to learn to cook for myself. I don’t eat processed food, and I am very particular about what I eat. I don’t eat high fat or high carb meals. So basically, I had to learn to make low fat healthy meals.

My mom and dad are big fans of Rachael Ray of TV’s Food Network fame. Rachael’s show, “30-minute meals” is where my mom gets many of her new recipes. She tries them and then shares them with me. Over the phone she mentors me on how to prepare and cook everything so that I have a delicious new and exciting meal for myself, or as Rachael would say, "A delicious, healthy meal all cooked in 30 minutes or less". Most of my recipes include fish, chicken and pork. I’m not really a beef eater and rarely eat pasta. I cook fresh vegetables every night and/or with a baked or sweet potato on the side. Another great recipe place is http://www.allrecipes.com/. My mom and I find a lot of easy and healthy recipes for us through that site. By being a necessity, cooking has become a self gratifying accomplishment for me. To be honest I used to think what a horrible wife I would be someday since I trembled at the thought of boiling water. Now, I’m a regular, June Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver. (I kinda like wearing pearls in the kitchen.)

This Thanksgiving I am destined to stuff the bird, and learn how to make the greatest mashed potatoes on earth. My butt will be out of bed by 9a.m. this year. Bon Appetit everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home