RunningNheels

Friday, April 29, 2005

Life Should Be More Like A Musical

The past couple of weeks have been crazy busy, but something great happened that actually made me extremely happy.

Let me begin by saying, I came to IU as a theatre major and after one year became part of the IMP for Musical Theatre. Realizing the program was a dead end for me, I changed majors last year to Apparel Merchandising with a business minor which I love, especially since THIS program isn’t controlled by one specific person who makes or breaks your IU career!

Anyway, a couple of months ago, Alexis asked me to be part of a scene for her Directing Class. The scene was from Urinetown: The Musical. I saw the musical with the original cast on Broadway a few years ago and absolutely loved it! In Alexis’ directing scene, I played the part of Hope. With me in the scene is one of the most talented actors on IU’s campus. It is a love scene in which we had about 10 minutes of dialogue, sing to each other, and then ended by a couple long kisses. Wow! Was that amazing! The thing I’ve missed and forgotten about acting is how fabulous it feels to actually allow myself to feel love for someone even though in a pretend state and then not have to ever worry about getting hurt. I actually let myself go and forgot about past tragedies. Yes, for the first time in years I didn’t worry about love being painful or someone getting hurt. For 10 exuberant minutes, I didn’t feel uncomfortable about anything. The opportunity to perform with an amazing actor brought out incredible freedom for me. Heck, I probably would have done a freaking nude scene with him if the script called for it. But it didn’t! Just a couple passionate kisses, romantic lyrics, words of love, and a foot pop! This kind of love IS grand!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home