RunningNheels

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Little 500

Breaking Away…great movie! I watched it for the 1st time last year back home and thought it was an adorable story and I especially loved seeing the familiar scenes of Indiana University’s great campus and home town Bloomington all through it. In case you don’t know, the movie is about a group of townie boys who are known as the “Cutters” who ride in our country’s biggest cycling race, called Little 500, which happens to take place on our beautiful IU Campus. Little 500 is a huge fund raiser for the IUSF (Indiana University Student Foundation). The race raises money from various corporations who become major sponsors for the event. It’s supposedly a great event for the frats, sororities, alumni and even our dearly beloved Bloomington Cutters to participate in. It’s the wildest week on campus, drinking going on all day and ambulance alarms going on all night!

I myself am not partaking of the festivities this year. I have too much work to do. I have three papers due next week as well as a presentation and an exam. Plus I work off campus Friday and Saturday’s so my time is limited. Yeah, I’m one of those people who do every assignment and have a calendar filled with meetings and appointments like that of a CEO of a major corporation. My partying days are rare events anymore.

It’s hard for me to relate to the Little 500 race. My history of bike riding ended by 5th grade. The enforced helmet law was enough for me and my brother to stop riding bikes. Ugh! I hate those things! There’s nothing attractive about them on females and my brother being ADHD would never be bothered with taking the time to put one on. He was an avid bike rider until the helmet law became enforced. In fact, I don’t remember my brother ever wearing a helmet. Must have been he didn’t want it to wreck his then popular “spiked haircut”. I got a nice bike for Christmas when I was in the 6th grade. I think I rode it in my cul-de-sac once and that was it. By 6th grade, I was growing up and begging my mother to let me wear heels. I wasn’t interested in bike riding the neighborhood wearing that ridiculous helmet on my head. Now a little beret to the side would have looked cute but not that awful hard helmet with the black strap choking my chin. Oh I know, those helmets come in all sorts of fancy stripes and colors now…so what! When was the last time you asked a girl out on a date while she was wearing one of those helmets?....Exactly!

Although I don’t ride a real bike anymore, I do enjoy the Spinning classes at the SRSC which I take twice per week. Spinning class takes you both mentally and physically up hills, mountains, and across the plains of Indiana…all without wearing a helmet! It’s an awesome workout and I never have to worry about cars, getting bit by a dog, or most importantly getting lost!

Good luck to everyone riding this weekend in Little 500. Have a lot of fun and don’t drink and ride…and don’t forget to wear your helmet! Go Cutters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home